Southern Ropes manufactures quality synthetic fiber ropes for use in the Marine, Mining, Military and Industrial industries.
The company is actively involved in these industries and has established a renowned position. The quality of the rope and cordage produced is respected all over the world.
Southern Ropes (Pty) Ltd was formed in 1984. Initially the company manufactured ropes for specialist fishing applications.
The original focus was to produce high tenacity, durable, UV resistant, long lasting and reliable ropes at a competitive price. Southern Ropes has since grown and diversified to become a specialist synthetic rope and cord manufacturer with an extensive product range that can meet all of our customer requirements.
Southern Ropes has standard supply agreements (local and international) with fishing companies, net manufacturers, OEM’s and a number of wholesalers and distributors.
A variety of products are manufactured to both custom and standard specifications. Specifications are recorded for each rope type and retained on file for use in filling repeat orders.
Yarns used during manufacture are tested continually to ensure that the tenacity, mass and extension are to precise standards and product specifications. Production is monitored throughout the rope manufacturing process to ensure the quality and consistency of the end product.
Southern Ropes manufactures all synthetic fiber ropes in the following constructions and sizes.
- 3 Strand Hawser Lay (5 mm - 46 mm)
- 4 Strand Cable Laid (8 mm - 46 mm)
- 8 Strand Plaited Ropes (32 mm - 120 mm)
- 12 Strand Plaited Ropes (8 mm - 60 mm)
- Braided Ropes and cords (2 mm – 30 mm)
- Double Braided Ropes (4 mm – 30 mm)
- Low Stretch Kernmantel Ropes (9 mm – 13 mm) (SABS EN 1891:1998)
- Dyneema® Kite Lines (0.5 mm – 4.0 mm)
Materials offered include Nylon, Polyester, PP/Polysteel, Polyethylene, Polyrene, Dyneema®, Kevlar®, Vectran®, Technora® and PBO®
Twisted ropes are offered in hawser (3 strand) and cable (4 strand) lay. Braids are offered in 8, 12, 16, 24, 32 and 48 braid constructions with a variety of core options.
All Polypropylene, Polyethylene and Polyrene yarns are extruded and blended on site.
Where applicable, ropes and braids are manufactured to exceed the minimum standards set by the respective authority. All general-purpose ropes are manufactured according to the original British Standard (BS) standards, which now form the basis for the European Norm (EN) standard. Ropes and cords are manufactured to specifications exceeding SABS, EN and BS of 1997.
The Company is proud of its record of providing high quality stranded and braided ropes to agreed delivery schedules.
- Rope table should only be used as a guideline.
- Recommended safe working load for any rope is 1/6th of its breaking strain.
- Knots can reduce rope strength by up to 50%
- Break load is an average result achieved under laboratory conditions, in straight-line pulls with constantly increasing tensile loads
- Break Loads, Safe Working Loads & Dynamic Loads, refer to “Rope Information”